Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

DIY Sunburst Mirror

Another sunburst mirror?  Yes, I just couldn't help myself!  I've been seeing mirrors like these all over the place and wanted to give it a try.

[source]
[source]
Some are thick, some thin, some use clothespins, sticks, and even paper.  There are so many cool ideas out there and guess what I went with...plain bamboo skewers from the grocery!  I know, I know it seems really boring, but I thought they would be perfect with this 7 in. mirror I picked up from Michael's.


It started simple enough, find the center and glue the skewers into place.  I used E600 since it holds really nicely, but lets you move slightly if  you need to before it dries.


Oh I better back up one step.  I did attempt to paint the skewers first, but after realizing how time consuming that would be I decided to wait until I had all the sticks glued on so I could spray it all at once.

Gluing took some time because I stopped between each step to let the glue dry.  I played some legos, went swimming, watched the boys shoot hoops in the family room...yes I think this step took an entire day.



Finally it looked like this ~ not totally even, but you can't tell from the front...thank goodness!


Next step was to cut out a piece of cardboard to cover the back.  I took another mirror the same size and traced it so I could get it the right size.



Then the cardboard got glued to the back with Gorilla glue.  I happened to have some on hand and figured it would work.  It did the trick!  But be careful not to put too much Gorilla glue it does expand.  Also, it must sit awhile and I even put a bunch of magazines on top to make sure it was nice and secure.


I let it sit overnight and then it was on to my favorite part ~ spray painting!  Glossy white (the crisp, clean look) was my color choice.  I had to place the magazines under my drop cloth to raise the mirror up and cut another piece of cardboard to cover the mirror and then the fun could begin! 


You can see I used painters tape around the edges of the cardboard to make sure the paint didn't get in between the cardboard and the mirror.



Here it is painted, but something really needed to be done about the edges of the mirror.  It just didn't look right to me.


So as you can see I got out the beads to see what I could come up with.  Unfortunately it looked more like an art project gone wrong...ha ha!  No to the beads!

Next, I got out pennies and for some reason didn't take a picture (probably a good thing!).  Once I got all of the pennies off I found some poker chips in the cabinet and tried that.


May not have been bad if it were for a game room!  But, it wasn't exactly the look I was going for.  Then I remembered some clear stones we had used for rewards when the boys were younger.  The right color and size...awesome!  I laid them all out to make sure it was what I wanted then used my glue gun to glue them all into place.


Once they were all glued on, I used liquid nails to glue a hook onto the back. 


And...


The completed mirror!  Wow...it took some time, but for about $4.00 it was so worth it.  Right now it is on a wall in the living room that I plan on painting green.  Once the entire area is done I will show you how it looks!  What do you think...bust or worth my time? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! It looks amazing! Nice job!

Jodi said...

Thank you!:-)