Here is a peek at what the bed looked like before:
Wow...that's dark! The entire set was matchy, matchy, and just not us anymore. The paint color was also way too dark. The entire room got painted an easy neutral color I love...
Benjamin Moore - Pismo Dunes:
Anyway, back to the headboard. Not only was I tired of the dark wood, the queen size bed just wasn't cutting it. So out with the old and in with the new. A new king mattress needs a new headboard and I was really excited about a headboard project:-)
First, I measured the mattress to determine the size of plywood to get. Next, hubby went to Lowes and purchased the plywood for me...yippee! Once he got it home I thought it was a bit heavy, but oh well I was going to make it work.
I had already purchased the fabric:
First step was to wrap the piece of plywood with batting and use the staple gun to secure it in place.
I did two layers of batting before starting on the fabric. I didn't want it too think so two layers of batting did the trick. Next step, staple the fabric into place. I know it's weird, but to be able to see what I was doing I stood the wood up to make sure my fabric was lining up straight.
I worked my way around the entire board making sure to check that the pattern still looked good. It turned out awesome!
Last, but not least it had to be placed behind the bed. We didn't have an old headboard to attach it to as I have seen many other people do, so hubby and I decided to use 2x4's and brackets to make it work. First Eric (aka hubby) cut the 2x4's to the height we wanted. He attached three 2x4's (equal distance apart) to the back with brackets (He is going to love the first picture!).
Finally, the headboard fit (stood) right behind the mattress!
I love it so much more than the previous headboard!
It really makes a huge difference in the room. Much more crisp, clean, open and bright...ahhhh:-) And the total cost ~ roughly $50 ~ can't beat that!