Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet Craziness

My kitchen is in need of complete organization!  Other than the silverware drawer post I haven't really done much to organize the kitchen lately.

The boys are home for another week and while they were playing table top football I decided to tackle a cabinet that has been driving me nuts.

Kids need water bottles...there is just no way around it.  I don't like buying them from the store (unless we are having a party), so I buy reusable bottles which means we also need a place to store them.

When the cabinet was opened I immediately wanted to close it...you can see why!


Yikes.  How in the world did this happen?  Why are there lids with the water bottles?  Time to take everything out and start over.


Some of this craziness is because things were in the cabinet that did not belong there.  Tupperware has to go somewhere else (I think there is another crazy cabinet to clean out...ha ha!).

Since I had everything out I just had to get out the contact paper...yippee!  Actually I am lying...first I tried wrapping paper because the contact paper doesn't fit all the way to the back.


See what I mean.  If you have ever tried to blend a contact paper pattern when it doesn't fit you know why I didn't want to go through this, but I decided I couldn't live with the wrapping paper.


Cute, but not quite right for the kitchen.  So back to the contact paper...first I had to lay it out and fold it back so I would know where to cut.


It's much easier for me to do it this way instead of measuring...call me crazy!:-)   Next I just cut along my folded line.  I had to cut two pieces since I would have to line them up somehow to cover the entire bottom of the cabinet.



Now the difficult part...laying the contact paper.  I started at one end (only taking the baking off a little at a time).  Make sure to push the paper down from the center to spread it out (this will keep the bubbling down).

Once it was in I had to take my second piece and try and line it up...fun. fun. fun.


You can see up top where the first piece stops.  It just seemed like too much space so I had to attempt to line up the paper.  I placed the paper down exactly the same way I did the first.  Honestly it wasn't easy, but I think it turned out pretty good.

 

You can see in the upper left corner where there is a little missing, but to get the pattern to line up I had no choice.  Once I got everything back in place it didn't matter.


I printed some labels from Better Homes and Gardens which should help keep everything organized and neat!


Doesn't it feel so good to have a clean organized cabinet?  I just love it!!  Plus I got to add a few things to my Goodwill bag...it feels really good to get rid of "stuff".
One last shot of the finished cabinet...so. happy!


No comments: