Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chalkboard

About a year ago I bought a chalkboard at an antique mall.  It was cute and I really thought the color would work well in the house.  After using it for a family menu (that didn't last long since I am a horrible meal planner!), it became more of a quote board.

The chalkboard part was driving me crazy because it just wasn't working well and wasn't dark enough.  So I pulled out the chalkboard spray paint and got to work.

Here is how it looked before I started the transformation.


See how dull the chalkboard part is?  It was also very difficult to write on.

I taped the inner part of the frame.


Then placed newspaper along the edges to cover the wood frame.


It took about 4 light coats of chalkboard spray paint.  Be careful to spray lightly...more coats are better than drips!;-)

Once it was dry (I waited an entire day), I sprayed the frame white.  Lifting up the newspaper left the frame open to paint, but covered the chalkboard part...nice and easy!



 About 3 coats later I ended up with an new look.


I love how the white pops in my newly painted niche!


What do you think?  It is definitely much easier to write on and I am loving white right now so it works for me:-)

No comments: