Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Dining Table Transformation


The finished project!!  Yippee!
This is how it all started:  I found a table on craigslist that I loved and purchased it for my grandmother.  You can read about it in this post.  It came into my hands within the last year and I had BIG plans for it!:-)  A year ago I started spraying just the legs (yes, I did say a year ago...lol!)


It took forever...about 5 coats or so on each leg with a finishing coat of Rust-oleum crystal clear enamel glossy finish.  The leg color is Rust-oleum Painters Touch Satin Lagoon.

Once the legs were finished it was onto the next stage...except that it became about 112 degrees here so painting was put on hold until October!  Finally painting weather arrived so I pulled out the table and (even though I was scared to death) decided to finish.

I flipped the top of the table over (after putting the leaf in) realizing I needed to paint the wood next to where the legs attach Satin Lagoon.  I taped around the edge of the underside of the table.  It took about 3 coats for the edges.



Next, I put the legs back on so I could tackle the top of the table.


Not bad!  Now to the fun part...right;-)  I gathered up my supplies and got to work.  Not pictured are my small foam roller and paint brush.


 
I really hated the thought of sanding so I decided to try Zinsser primer since I have read it works great even without sanding.  We'll see if what they say is really true;-)  Before priming I filled a few scratches with the wood filler.



Once those scratches were filled it was on to the priming.  I did two coats.  But the key is to wait a good length of time between coats...a day worked for me.  It doesn't need to be perfect or cover completely since it will be painted over.


The final steps took forever...really I am not kidding!  I am not very patient, but I was determined not to ruin the table by painting my coats too close together.  Each coat got an entire 24 hours or more to dry.  I don't want to tell you how many coats it took because it's kinda depressing...lol (5 coats)!  I kept seeing the brush marks which was frustrating.  It drove me crazy enough to get out my Floetrol and mixed it into the paint. I used the small foam roller on my last two coats of paint.  Once the paint dried for 2 days (CrAzY!), I applied 2 coats of polyurethane (Varathane interior water based poly-gloss finish).  Satisfaction!!:-) 


It's not perfect, but I do love  how it turned out!

No comments: