Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Yellow Chandelier

It's officially complete...yippee!!  You can see when I scored the chandelier here

It only took about 2 weeks on and off and 3-4 cans of spray paint to finish once I actually started.  Every time I thought I had it done I'd find some more gold showing through somewhere...was about to go crazy, but decided it was as good as it was going to get!

First, I took all of the light bulbs off and dusted the entire light.  Next, I had to decide if I was going to leave the light sleeves white or just paint the entire piece yellow (I'd seen it both ways).  Easiest won...all yellow.

After all of the dusting, I pushed some tissue inside each light spot so no paint would get inside. 


Then it was on to the paint color.  I decided to go bold...I could always change it right?  After completing this project I am sure hoping I love it because I really don't want to paint it again...lol!!


I lightly sprayed as much as I could while it was laying on a box on the ground.  I have to say it was extremely difficult to get in all of those nooks and crannies!  Be careful not to get too close or you'll get running paint.  Your best bet is to be very patient and let every coat dry completely before adding more paint.  I can't even tell you how many coats I did this way...I do know I went through 2 cans of paint and 3-4 days!!


The final step was to hang the light so I could get to the underside better.  I just couldn't get all of the light while it sat on the ground...so up it went.



Finally the exciting part...yes putting it in the house!!  I can't tell you how nervous excited I was to get this done.  Although my hubby could probably tell you since I only brought it up a million few times yesterday...ha ha!  At 4:45 p.m. he finally broke down and got to work.  We (oops he) took down the ugly old light fixture.

The old builder grade fixture

I almost forgot to get a picture of my sunshine getting the light up!  Don't you just love his tower of pillows?  He was trying to spare me the task of holding the light while he worked to get it hooked up...so sweet!


After you make a tower of pillows...lol, make sure to tape off the light switch (especially if you have kids who might try to turn on the light by accident!).


Once the wires are hooked up make sure the light works before securing it to the ceiling.  Then stand back and admire your new light!


You'll have to imagine different curtains since I haven't even begun that project!  I really needed some happiness in our family/dining room and this is my first step.

Now the fun before and after shot:


What do you think?  Fun...fun...fun...right?  Or maybe not your style?  Andrew and Cade say it's really cool..love that I put smiles on their faces!

No comments: